This season has brought with it more than just pleasant weather: for the first time since becoming a dietitian and starting a private practice, I served as a preceptor to not one, but two amazing interns, both of whom I enjoyed so much! These young ladies jumped right in, seized every learning opportunity, asked thought provoking questions (they taught me some things) and were my right hand behind the scenes at events the past few months.
Without further adieu, Olivia starts us off with a spring roll recipe that's sure to give you plenty of fresh flavor and promises you won't be in the kitchen long (more time to enjoy being outside)... Take it away, Olivia! (PS- look for Lauren's blogpost on "The In's and Out's of Exercise" at the start of next week.)
Spring Rolls with Peanut Sauce
10-12 sheets rice paper
1 ripe avocado, thinly sliced
1 cup shredded carrots
1 fresh mango, chopped
1/3 cucumber, peeled and julienned
1/2 beet, peeled and julienned (**beet-hater approved — you'll never taste 'em!)
2" fresh ginger root, peeled and thinly sliced
8-12 ounces medium frozen shrimp (cooked, deveined, tail off)
8 ounces rice noodles
thinly sliced radish
"Zoodles" (zucchini noodles)
red bell pepper, julienned
1.5 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
juice from 1/2 lime
1 tablespoon water
- Thaw shrimp by placing bag in a bowl filled with hot water (about 10 minutes) .
- Soak rice noodles in hot water for 5 minutes or until soft; drain water and set noodles aside.
- Meanwhile, wash and prep veggies/herbs and set on plate nearby. Place thawed shrimp in a bowl.
- Fill a wide, shallow dish with hot water (I use a sauté pan). Dip rice paper in water for 10 seconds; place paper on flat surface like a plate or cutting board (the paper will still feel like plastic at this point, but will transform and become pliable within seconds of laying it down — magic!).
- Layer noodles, veggies/herbs, and shrimp in the middle of paper (each layer about 4" long). Carefully fold one side of rice paper over fillings, tuck each end into the center, and continue rolling (as though rolling a burrito) until spring roll is seam side down.
- To prepare peanut sauce, whisk chili garlic sauce, peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, and water together in small bowl. Serve with spring rolls.